Faculty of Science and Engineering
Chemistry is an interdisciplinary subject in the material and life sciences, and the demand for it is expanding in our diversified society. In our department, we offer education and research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students with a passion for chemistry. We cover various aspects of chemistry, from the basics to cutting-edge science and technology, including nanotechnology, environmental sciences, syntheses of materials and catalysts, biological and medical applications, chemical/biological sensors, and extension to the chemical industry. Our department was established in 1953 and already has more than 10,000 alumni, and they work as researchers or engineers in various professions related to chemistry. Many groups in our department have published many renowned journals, and the researches were sometimes covered in newspapers and journal pages.
The main focus of our undergraduate education is on the basic concepts of physical, inorganic, organic chemistry, and chemical engineering. The deep understanding helps students to gain sufficient knowledge for research progresses. Many undergraduate students in our department enter further education for graduate school to continue their research works. During the periods, students have many opportunities to make presentations in domestic and international conferences, with support for the travel and accommodation from the university.
Almost 90% of the alumni and alumnae become scientists or engineers at companies or public organizations. We welcome you to join our department and look forward to advancing chemistry together.
Fields of interest
- Biomolecular Chemistry (Synthesis and practical applications of biomaterials; artificial blood, microtube motors, anticancer agents)
- Bioorganic Chemistry (Natural product isolation, Structure Determination, Biological activities)
- Chemical Spectroscopy (Solar cell, Photocatalysis, Photoresponsive liquid crystal)
- Chemistry of Natural Products (Synthesis, structure, and biological activity of natural products and their derivatives, Synthetic Methods Development)
- Environmental Resource Energy (Chemical recycling of polymers at high pressures, transport phenomena in supercritical fluids)
- Molecular Functional Chemistry (Bistable metal complex, Redox-active liquid crystal, Functional inorganic solid, Photocatalysis)
- Molecular Sensors and Analytical Chemistry (Control of molecular interactions and its applications using bio/chemical micro sensors)
- Molecular Spectroscopy (Structure of condensed phase, inter-molecular interactions, spectroscopy-based thermal analysis of micro-fluidics)
- Nanomaterials Physical Chemistry (Synthesis of nanomaterials and their application to functional materials)
- Numerical Transport Phenomena (Sustainable and renewable energy,Desalination, Wet Granulation)
- Organic Synthesis and Catalysis (Synthesis of new organometallic catalysts and their application to highly selective organic reactions)
- Organometallic Chemistry (Syntheses and reactivities of organometallic compounds with novel structures)
- Solid State Chemistry (Synthesis, structural analysis, and physical properties of solid materials)
- Theoretical Chemistry (Materials Informatics, Material Design, Quantum Chemistry, Molecular Dynamics, Statistical Thermodynamics)